Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What's Hot Weekly Advantages

There are other sites that do close to the same thing that whats-hot-weekly.com does. but those sites are limited. The number one ranked result on google for "most watched on ebay" is ebay pulse. eBay pulse only shows the top ten results. Whats-hot-weekly.com shows the top 100.

Another highly ranked site is watchcount.com. This site doesn't even allow you to drill down into the subcategories. I have a good suspicion why. I worked on the menu system longer than any other part of whats-hot-weekly.com. The menu is XML driven. Categories are updated bi-weekly at present rate. I store the categories in a MySQL database. This allows me to make less calls to the eBay API. It also makes the app a bit faster.

Watchcount.com also only shows the top 20. Again, whats-hot-weekly.com shows the top 100.

I put a lot of effort in creating local web services for the item lookup and category lookup. This allows the app to be fully dynamic. All data is transferred in XML format. I plan to expand on many areas of the app over the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment